When was the last time you had a tune up of your garage door? It requires regular preventative maintenance. Your garage door is one of the most used parts of your home with you opening and closing it over 1,000 times per year. It is an entry to your home that you rely on to work properly. By maintaining it, you can ensure reliable, quiet operation and safety. It is recommended to have a semi-annual or annual inspection and basic tune-up. Please contact Doors by Mike for a professional and thorough servicing of you garage door!
Tips for Proper Garage Door Operation
Here are some tips you can do to make certain your garage door is operating properly:
- Visually check the springs, pulley, chains, rollers, belts, and fasteners when the garage door is not operating to make sure they are tight and secure. Verify there is no rust, damage, or worn parts. If there are problems, contact a professional to schedule repair or replacement.
- Visually check the rubber seal on the bottom of steel doors for wear and tear. Schedule repair, if needed.
- Visually check the movement of your door’s operation. The opening and closing of your garage door should be a smooth operation. In addition, the door should close evenly. If the door is not moving in a continuous motion, such as having a slight catch while it opens and closes, there may be a problem with the tensions of the springs. Don’t try to adjust springs or any parts yourself. This is something a professional should do.
- Visually check the garage door operator and travel system for wear. This can be done by watching the carriage move across the rail when in operation. If it is already worn and the carriage is not moving smoothly along the rail, you will need to contact a professional for repair or possibly replacement.
- Check the light bulbs in your operator, if applicable, and replace them as needed.
- Check the batteries in your remote control transmitter and replace with new and fresh batteries if needed. Batteries typically last one to three years depending on usage.
- Review your owner’s manual for more specific maintenance on your model. You may have some specialty settings that can affect your garage door operation and require maintenance.
Heed All Safety Warnings
You can perform a visual inspection of your garage door and electric opener. Due to safety concerns, we suggest you contact Doors by Mike, a licensed and insured garage door repair specialist if you need repairs or replacement of parts.
Doors By Mike can provide a full inspection, tune up your garage door, and perform any repairs to keep it operating optimally. You can schedule an appointment online for your convenience or call us at 770.922.5207. After a tune up is performed, you will notice a quieter and smoother operation.